Monday, November 2, 2009

Anthropologie

Anthropologie is one of my favorite stores. It's a shame, though, because I really can't afford anything from it. It's super expensive, but almost every item found online or in-store is so Kaylen Hoffman it's ridiculous.

I spent a couple of minutes browsing some of the new holiday decor items this morning, and while they are incredibly beautiful, I think they can be recreated at home for much cheaper.


Snowflake ornament - this could be recreated with some wire, lots of powder-blue beads, and glitter.


Button ornament - This one is probably the easiest to recreate. I've made button ornaments before, but not quite as meticulous - this would just require a ton of red buttons, pliable wire, and pliers. I love how Christmas-ey it looks!


I LOVE this pirate ship ornament. I'm not 100% sure how to DIY it. Definitely three different kinds of fabric. Some rhinestones, wire, and some beads (if you look carefully, you can see them in the bow of the ship).


Whale Ornament - how adorable is this?! There is also a jellyfish and an anchor and an octopus. If you know how to knit or crochet, this should be easy. But I have no clue how to do either of those things. Some knitting needles, blue yarn, and polyfil (stuffing) should be all that you need.


Tree Topper - I love how old-fashioned this looks. I would need some strong, heavy wire for the base, and then another type of strong wire for the star points. Also, some beads. And then bam! An adorable tree-topper.

These next couple of things aren't necessarily holiday-related, but I love how they look handmade. And I think that they could be recreated.


Chateau Lamp - this is way too fancy, but if you're feeling especially industrious, this is definitely the project for you. You need a ton of wire and a really good pair of pliers. I guess it isn't quite as difficult as it seems, once you make a ton of the little pieces (the square windows and curliques) and then put them all together.


Travel Scrapbook - I just love how this looks. I also love VW buses. This should be relatively simple to create - just a pretty floral fabric in the background, and then six or seven different colors for the bus, flowers, and banner. Then just a little bit of embroidery to say "My Travels" and you're golden!


Teacup Lamp - this is another complicated project, but I have seen it done before on apartment therapy. You need a few pieces of tea sets - tea cups, saucers, and even a tea pot. Then, drill a small hole in the center of each piece (for the cord to the lamp to go through). Then you just need a lampshade and a lighting kit and bam! A lamp.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh my gosh. Anthropologie is one of my fave stores too, but waaay to expensive for me. I love the tree topper! We always have an angel at the top of trees in my family though, so I might have to try making it into an ornament.
I can't wait for Christmas break :)