Monday, November 9, 2009

Slide Lamp



So, this isn't really cheating, but maybe it is a little bit...

I made this slide lamp earlier this year. I've been busy lately with school work and wedding planning, and making this pillow (I need to take pictures and post them; it's coming along!!), so it's been hard to concentrate on new, specific crafts.

Making this slide lamp was a ton of fun. My high school media and history teacher, Barry O'Keeffe, had a library card catalog of old slides from his media classes in the '70s. When we graduated, he told our media class that we could take as many of the old slides as we wanted, if we needed them for anything. Most of the girls thought they were stupid, but a couple of us spent HOURS holding the little teeny slides up to the fluorescent lights, picking out ones we liked.

It was three years before I did anything with them, but when I DID - the results were pretty cool. I mean, I think the results are cool. Check it out!









I started by getting a crappy, kind of ugly lamp from Target that was way-on-sale. It was one of those lamps is rectangular shaped (as you can see in the picture above), covered/wrapped in linen. I plugged it in once, as-is, before I dismantled it. It was pretty, but I had bigger plans for it.

After ripping the fabric off of it and using Goo-Gone (oh my gosh, one of the BEST products ever, seriously) to scrape the remnants of glue off of the frame, I got to work. I measured the slides and then the length/width of the lamp and figured out that I could fit three slides across and five slides down, on each side. This meant that, with four sides, I would need 60 slides.

The main idea for the slide lamp came from ReadyMade Magazine (one of the best magazines ever). They suggested using brackets and jewelery rings to connect the slides to each other, but I tried doing that and it was too hard. I needed pliers to pull the rings apart and I got too impatient with that, SO I decided to sew the slides together.

I bought some white embroidery thread and used a thumbtack to poke holes into the cardboard part of the slides. Then I laid them side by side and sewed three slides together at a time, and then sewed the three sides onto another set of three slides, and so on and so forth. Then, I poked holes all along the top row and sides of the slides where they were congruent to frame, and I sewed those together as well.

Voila! I screwed in a lightbulb and bam! A slide lamp!

What do you think?

No comments: